This site requires Cookies enabled in your browser for login.
Forcing Data Description
Section 1: Forcing Data Description
MESH (Modélisation Environnementale communautaire - Surface Hydrology)
1. precipitation rate [kg m-2 s-1 or mm s-1]
2. incoming shortwave radiation [W m-2]
3. incoming longwave radiation [W m-2]
4. air temperature [K]
5. wind speed [m s-1]
6. air pressure [Pa]
7. specific humidity [kg kg-1]
1. CaPA + GEM (from ECCC) (1/80) and other NWP, climate forcing or reanalysis data
2. Station observations
Sub-daily, 3 hourly or less
.csv, .nc, .seq (intent to replace .r2c with .nc)
Section 2: Features
Strengths and Limitations
● Dependency on ECCC for forcing data (GEM & CaPA)
● Other datasets (WRF, WFD, WFDEI, ANUSPLIN, UPGF, etc) and scripts (matlab) privately available
External and Internal Tools
● Different codes available for pre-processing and interpolating data for a catchment.
● Shell scripts, Fortan program, Python scripts, Matlab scripts
● GEM and CaPA relies on someone inside ECCC firewall to use shell scripts to pre-process the data for a basin.
● WFDEI-GEM-CaPA and bias corrected CanRCM4 relies on a matlab script written by Mohamed Elshamy.
TBD_STEPHEN Link to script please
Source Code Availability
● External code and tools are not publicly available.
Section 3: Workflow
1. Download raw forcing data
2. Pre-processing raw data which includes resampling of forcing data over the MESH regular grids with spatial interpolation using external tools (true for NWP, Reanalysis or station observations)
3. Small basin setups can use station observations in .csv files.
Thanks to Prabin for synthesis of this data!
T-2020-05-09-518J3sQ6C51Eab534lq52al52vQ Forcing Data Descriptor Template for Hydrological Models 1.0